Friday, October 3, 2008

Lifestyle changes don't require perfection, they require progress!

I decided not to blog yesterday as I've blogged a ton this week already. My Weight Watcher's meeting went very well. I lost 3.8 lbs this past week. I decided to splurge and I bought some chocolate bars from the program. I usually don't do that but I thought it might keep me from craving Kit Kats in the Halloween candy aisle at stores. I'm really surprised with how easy it was to journal my food intake over the past week. It makes me kick myself for not doing something so easy all along.

With that being said, I did slip a little last night. I had some friends over to watch a baseball game and I started to snack without thinking. It just seems natural to shove food in my mouth if people are eating around me.

The theme of yesterday's WW meeting was "using your rear view mirror." The chick wanted us to look back in our lives and evaluate what works and what doesn't work with weight loss because both can teach you a lot. Everyone was supposed to think of positive and negative experiences associated with weight loss. She also suggested that the number on the scale shouldn't be included in our answers. Weight loss is more than a number and we already know that. The positive experiences I remember (and notice lately) are the energy I have all day, improved mood, improved sleep, better example for my son, and the increased perceived control I have over my life. Yes, I do get excited about the decreasing number on the scale, but I also like when my clothing gets loose. It's great when you can walk into a store and buy a smaller size.

In regards to negative experiences in the past, I often gave up after some small failures. I'd have a bad week and fall of the wagon. Like the title of this entry states, weight loss or life style changes are not based on perfection. We are human, we are going to struggle and fail sometimes. What matters is that we press on and progress through tough times. Usually after I lose about 20 lbs, I also get frustrated because I'll start plateauing and weight loss becomes more difficult. And another major negative factor is the stress in my life. When the stress level kicks up, I start to not care about my diet. I just want food to comfort me. That obviously interferes with weight loss.

So what are your positive and negative experiences associated with this lifestyle change? What events in your past can you learn from?

2 comments:

LeAnn said...

I'm not going to leave a book of a response but I think that my blog today will focus on answering your question. So be sure to take a look at my blog later. It's definitely a good point to ponder. So thanks for giving me a blog topic. Maybe we will have to keep each other in check at Grandma's b-day party :)!

project.100.gone said...

You know what....you have a good point. I am a little worried about Grandma's party. I love all that homemade stuff. Slap my hand with a ruler or something if I keep snacking or refilling my plate repeatedly. Ha.