Thursday, January 29, 2009

Love Hunger #3

I am so bored. So, so bored. So I'm going to blog again and go through some more of my notes from Love Hunger.

The next section discussed booby traps. It basically discusses
foods that trigger unconscious eating or unnecessary snacking. We have already talked about this topic so I won't get into thoroughly. The book posed an interesting question though. "Can you reintroduce these foods in the future once good habits are established?" I honestly think that
food may be an issue for me even after significant weight loss and a change of lifestyle. I really wonder if I will ever trust myself with a bag of chips in the cupboard. I know that normal eating means that you don't have to remove foods from your life but I hate having that fear of losing control around licorice, Doritos, or cheesy potatoes.

As a child, was
food a friend or foe? I don't think of food as either when I was a kid. I ate when I was hungry and ate what my mom gave me. Did that relationship change when you were older or when you left home? My relationship changed after I left home. I had a very stressful first semester at ISU. I also remember that I really enjoyed being on my own so I'd buy whatever I wanted at grocery stores. With all the extra stress and extra junk food in my apartment, it's no wonder why I gained weight right away when I started college. It's also not surprising that I started treating my stress and negative emotions with food and why that bad habit has stuck around for so long. Ames was also filled with so many options for eating out and I remember having tons of food delievered and taking Gavin out to eat a lot. I was like a kid in a candy store my first year here.

The authors also want you to consider these statements. Think about which ones apply to you.

--
food has become increasingly important in your life. (yes for me... I think about food a lot)
--I eat when I'm nervous or angry. (yes
for me....it happens with other emotions too)
--I crave
food and think about it more than I should (YES YES YES! I get a thought or idea about a food item in my head and it takes a lot of energy to talk myself out of buying it or eating it as an unnecessary snack.)
--I eat to keep people
from getting close to me. (finally one I can say no to!)
--I could be addicted to
food. (yes I think I am)

That's enough
for now...I don't want the entries to be god awful long!


2 comments:

project.100.gone said...

is that a swipe at the length of my last entry?!?!? If so...well, ok! :) Now I feel like I should blog again to answer your questions! Your keeping me on my toes Ms. Smith!!

LeAnn said...

Good blog, not that the others aren't good too. When I view my day I often think of my schedule in regards to meals/food. Throughout the day I also think things like "Only four more hours and I can eat again." Or "I can have this and that for supper tonight." When I grocery shop I usually only allow myself to buy one bad/junk food item. However, I when thinking about it I am pretty sure I buy more than one bad item. I had a similar experience with Jenny during my early college years. I ate at the dining center but I ate as much as I wanted and whatever I wanted which means lots of fried food and desserts. I'm better about it now that I do the shopping and food preparing but it set me up for unhealthy eating that I am still battling today. For some reason when I am genuinely hungry and I buy or eat the most unhealthy food first. For example, between two classes on Wednesdays I have 20-30 minutes to eat. I usually have a sandwich in my lunch bag but I want more than that so I stop at the student union or student market on campus. I end up buying cookies and/or chips. It makes my meal way unhealthy especially when I am about to sit in a 3 hour class on my tushy. I use food as a reward or a goal too often. It's something I need to train myself to do otherwise. Points to ponder. On to the next blog . . .