Monday, January 12, 2009

Doctor Doctor!

Hey ladies-

Time for some more accountability. I went in for a scheduled doctor's appointment today and she decided to do some bloodwork to see where I stand in regards to my blood sugar, cholesterol, and triglycerides. Luckily I didn't eat breakfast so I was in a fasting state and the tests could be done. See, it pays to not eat breakfast sometimes.

My blood sugar test came back fine. Whew. My cholesterol was high though. The grand total was 211 and it should be below 200. They looked at both my HDL (health cholesterol) and LDL (bad cholesterol). My HDL was 66! Women should have a HDL of at least 50-60 so I passed that part. My LDL was 75 which is good because having a HDL less than 100 is optimal. So even though my overall cholesterol is higher than desired, my HDL and LDL levels are fine. Whew.

My triglycerides were horrible though. The test says they are at 349! It is desired to have a level of 150 or less. Mine were more than doubled obviously. I blame all my overeating in the past years. Basically whatever calories that are not converted into energy immediately are stored as triglycerides. I've eaten excess calories every day for years so I shouldn't be shocked that my level was so high.

So, not only is my weight keeping me accountable but now I can keep track of my blood work numbers and develop some accountability that way. I have to get my overall cholesterol and triglycerides down lower. I plan to get bloodwork done in May again so I have time to make a change and lose more weight. No heart attacks or heart disease for this lady!

1 comment:

LeAnn said...

So I got my internet back, thank god. I swear going to the doctor/dentist is like going to auto-shop to change the oil in your car - they always find something else wrong or broken. Your bloodwork results makes me want to get checked too, maybe someday. Well you have four to five months to continue working at the new lifestyle. Good luck getting those numbers down.