Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Recipe: spinach black bean enchiladas

This is another really easy and incredibly tasty recipe from the Trim and Terrific cookbook. I made both of these recipes this week because they both called for 1 can of black beans. I cut all of the recipes in half (so I'm not eating the same thing all week) so it worked out perfectly. This is another vegetarian recipe which is full of protein and fiber and I (who am most definitely a meat eater) didn't miss the meat at all!

You will need:
10, 6 inch flour tortillas
1 can black beans, 15 oz.
1 pkg. frozen chopped spinach, 10 oz., thawed w/ excess water squeezed out
1 can prepared enchilada sauce
1.5 c. reduced fat cheddar cheese
1 pkg taco seasoning (use what you like)
1 c. sour cream
1 c. water
1/4 c. green onions, chopped

In a medium, non-stick skillet, heat beans, spinach taco seasoning, green onions and water until boiling. Reduce heat and cook 8-10 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat. Stir in 1/2 c. sour cream.

In each tortilla, layer 1 tbs. each enchilada sauce and cheese and 1/10 of the spinach bean mixture. Roll tortillas and place in a baking dish. Cover with remaining enchilada sauce and bake 15-18 minutes at 375 degrees. Remove from over, sprinkle remaining cheese over the top and bake another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve with remaining sour cream over the top.

I was a little leery of this dish but Jessica tried it first and she really liked it. When I made it last night, I couldn't believe how good it was. I served it with a lettuce salad and cottage cheese and it was delightful, filling and very nutritious.

2 comments:

gavsmom said...

Dumb question here....what is enchilada sauce? Not sure I've ever eaten an enchilada.

Nicole said...

It's a red sauce. I've never cooked with it before but it's not bad. I got the medium and it has just a bit of bite to it which I like. It's very tasty.