Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Recipe: chicken with mushrooms and artichoke hearts

First let me start by saying that I've never really had artichoke hearts outside of spinach and artichoke dip and I somehow doubt that that counts. Making this recipe, I wasn't sure if I'd like artichokes or not and after trying this recipe I have to say that I'm on the fence. I don't think I dislike, but I can't be certain that I actually like artichoke hearts. Anyway, my indifference to artichoke hearts aside, this recipe turned out well. I think if I made it again I might throw in a different veggie though, I think zucchini or even stewed tomatoes would be really good.

You will need:

2 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 can of quartered artichoke hearts (drained and rinsed well)
1/2 pound of sliced, fresh mushrooms (I used button but you can use your favorite)
1 bunch green onions sliced
1 tbs. minced garlic
1/2 c. chicken broth
3 tbs. dry cooking sherry or white wine
2 tbs. margarine or butter
2 tbs. flour
onion powder
paprika
salt and pepper

take the chicken breasts and season generously with onion powder, paprika and pepper. Salt to taste. Place in a greased casserole dish.

In a non-stick skillet cook mushrooms, garlic, green onions and artichoke hearts until tender, pour over chicken. In the same pan add margarine and melt. Add flour and whisk together. Add chicken broth and sherry, cook until sauce thickens and pour over chicken and veggies. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, remove foil and cook another 15 minutes.

It's a fairly easy dish to prepare and it's quite good. I'm always looking for new ways to prepare chicken and this has mushrooms so I'm double happy!!

1 comment:

project.100.gone said...

I am the same as you...never really had artichoke hearts outside spinach and artichoke dip. I remember watching a show on Food Network and a chef got reamed because they didn't "clean" the artichokes correctly and left the inside of the heart in the dish. I guess that can get caught in a person's throat and cause them to choke...I wonder if that has anything to do with the name of the veggie.

I've never cooked with white wine or sherry either so that would certainly be a new experience.