Thursday, January 27, 2011

Recipe: Japanese chicken-scallion rice bowl

For dinner last night I made my second new recipe of the week. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about it before trying it. However, after getting it thrown together it was very tasty indeed! As always, I made slight changes to accommodate the ingredients I had and/or was able to find.

You will need:
8 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 c. chicken broth
1.5 tbs. sugar
2 tbs. soy sauce
1 tbs. mirin (see below)*
2 large egg whites
1 large egg
6 scallions trimmed and thinly sliced
2 c. cooked rice, use whatever kind of rice you like


Cut chicken into 1/2 inch pieces. Mix egg and 2 egg whites in a bowl and set off to the side.

Pour broth into a medium sauce pan along with sugar, soy sauce and mirin. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Add chicken to the simmering broth. Cook for 5 minutes. Gently pour egg mixture into the pot, do not stir. Sprinkle scallions on top. When the eggs firm up stir with chopsticks or knife. The directions say this should take about 3 minutes but I cooked mine for almost 10 to make sure the eggs were done...I hate undercooked eggs.

Divide rice into 3 bowls and add 1/3 of the chicken and broth into each bowl. As is, this will be around come out to three, 380 calorie servings.

*Mirin: this is a very sweet rice wine. I could not find it in the grocery store I normally shop in. I looked online and most sources agree that you can either substitute 1 tbs. white wine and an extra half table spoon of sugar or you can just omit this step altogether.

No comments: