Monday, January 17, 2011

Happiness is....

-Happiness is making others in your life happy but realizing that you can only make others happy when you're happy with yourself. I read that gem in Good Housekeeping while waiting for Jon at physical therapy tonight. Sorry if you're reading it twice since I also used a version of it for my Facebook status.

-I finished the book "Running with Scissors" that LeAnn lent me over Christmas. It's a very odd book which makes the content scary since it's based on the author's childhood and adolescence. I strongly suggest you read it Nicole. I'm going to add the movie to my Netflix queue too since I enjoy reading books and their related movies thereafter. I may read the author's book "Dry" too since it's also based on his life and the preview was intriguing.

-I feel very adultlike since I received my first box of offering envelopes at church this Sunday. For the first time ever I'll be able to claim my offering to church at tax time too.

-I watched "Heavy" on the A & E Channel tonight. Over the season they will feature 22 obese people and show their battle with getting a handle on healthier habits. I appreciate the show since it's showing how to lose weight the right way, exercise and diet. However it's still unrealistic since they get daily physical trainers and help with diet. I appreciate they show the long-term challenge and how going back to "real life" can create obstacles or undo hard work. They also recognize how food can be an addiction and I think that fact can be left out from other shows that promote healthy change and weight loss.

--Gavin turns 11 this week. I don't feel as organized as usual when it comes to his birthday. We did a pre-celebration thing yesterday when I took him and his friend to an Iowa Energy game in Des Moines. We did ice cream before the game too. Hopefully on Saturday we can do a birthday dinner at Hickory Park with family in Ames after Gavin's basketball game. He's going to have a friend spend the night later in the month. He shared that he's always wanted a lava lamp so I got him one today. I wasn't aware he's "always wanted one" so that was a surprise but I'm glad it was a feasible gift to find. He's going to pick out a pair of new tennis shoes too since he's all concerned about his footwear. I got him a gift card to Perfect Games (similar to Chucky Cheese) but I cannot find it anywhere. Nothing like losing money before I can give it away.

--I have a strong urge to attend a Weight Watchers meeting this week. We'll see how that goes and when I can get it to work with my schedule. I'm not looking to the crowded meetings since attendance skyrockets with the start of a new year.

That's all the randomness I have to share at this point. Hope everyone is having a good start to the week!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I've never heard of Running with Scissors but I just gooogled it and the story seems intriguing. I'll have to add that to the 'to read' list.

I wish my church had offering envelopes. If I don't write a check there is no record of how much I gave.

I was just reading and article about the show Heavy. It sounds intriguing. There is another new show on MTV that shows overweight teens in the process of losing weight. I think it's called 'I used to be Fat.' They're hoping it will help with the weight issue in teens in a way that Teen Mom helped with teen pregnancy.

I can't believe Gavin is turning 11. It seems like he was just 6. Hopefully the gift card turns up, I hate losing that kind of stuff too.

Good for you on the urge to attend a WW meeting. Having the desire is half the battle. If you find yourself attending one I hope it goes well!

LeAnn said...

I was thinking about reading more books by Augusten Burroughs too, but I haven't put much effort into it. I reviewed the book on my blog (Nicole!), so you should have heard of it. The movie version is okay, but again, the book wins. I think I saw that Heavy advertised on TV too, or maybe I saw a similar show. It seemed a lot more real, down-to-earth than other shows like The Biggest Loser.

Actually, for a couple of seconds I though Gavin was turning twelve and it made my heart jump. Then, I remembered he's only eleven, so it didn't seem so bad after that. I used to have a lava lamp, but I don't know where it ended up - probably Alissa's room. He can keep through college. Lol. It'll be nice decoration for the dorms.

Did you attend that WW meeting? The Live Healthy Iowa program has begun, so I am hoping to be more attentive to my habits. I hate to throw out excuses, but my current cold makes it hard to want to do anything besides eat and sleep.

Now, I am finally caught up on the commenting.