Monday, August 31, 2009

Crock Pot Heaven

Hey ladies-

My scalloped potatoes and ham were a success! Oh my gosh the apartment smelled so good when I got home from work this afternoon. Gavin even tried it....he's a weird child. He didn't really care for the moist, delicious potatoes but he was all about the ham. I was really pleased by Hy-Vee because they offered pre-cooked, cubed ham in 2 oz packages and it was very affordable. I didn't have to buy ham and dice it up myself. I only had to peel and cut up potatoes.

Here is the recipe I used for my scalloped potatoes & ham:

6 peeled potatoes that are cubed
1 medium onion chopped/diced into small pieces
1/2 a pound of cubed, precooked ham

You layer those ingredients in the crock pot so they are evenly distributed.

4 tbs of butter/margarine
4 tbs of flour
2 cups of milk
1.5-2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
(I also used a water-corn starch concoction to thicken up the cheese sauce a little bit)

Melt the butter in a saucepan and gradually add flour to it. Stir to keep it smooth. Gradually add milk to saucepan. The ingredients should start to thicken. They didn't thicken well for me so I made a cornstarch/water concoction and it helped a lot. Cheddar cheese is added to the saucepan and quickly melts.

Pour the cheese sauce over the ham, potatoes, and onions and be sure to stir very well. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-7 hours in the good 'ol crock pot.

Makes 6-8 servings.

When and if you have the time Nicole, I'd love to see any recipes you have for the crock pot. My goal is to make a pot roast next week since Gavin likes beef and I'll eat it if it's lean.

2 comments:

LeAnn said...

The recipe doesn't sounds too bad or too hard. I'll have to ask Jason if he's interested in trying it. He's a big ham fan so I'm sure he'd be up for it. I think tonight I'm trying a recipe we found called "Pizza Hot Dish" and if it turns out well I will post it on my blog. I think (if it turns out well) it would be something Gavin would like. Alrighty.

project.100.gone said...

sounds delightful jenny!