Thursday, August 13, 2009

BLARG!

I just wanted to share with you ladies that I really, truly, deeply feel that co-workers suck! One of my co-workers (the one who is doing the study with me) has put me in a very difficult position and I don't know what to do. Correction, I know exactly what I have to do but I really, really, really don't want to have to do it! I need opinions from people (especially those who have done research) before I take action. Let me set the scene for you.

At the hospital we are doing a major clinical trial to see if Vit. C improves endothelial function and functional capacity of patients who have undergone a fontan procedure. To quantify functional capacity we are using the metabolic data (VO2 usage, CO2 production etc.) from graded exercise tests on a treadmill. Our equipment, like most metabolic exercise equipment is very good when it's operating normally and calibrated. Unlike certain lab equipment, all metabolic equipment needs to be calibrated at least once per day, ours is no exception. Basically we measure reference gases to verify that the machine is reading the appropriate levels of O2 and CO2. We also measure volume to make sure that when the equipment measures a volume of air, that it's accurate...and reliable...and valid (the hallmark of good data collection).

Now, under normal conditions, we are able to calibrate the equipment for the first study of the day and the calibration holds for the remaining tests. Our equipment is really great in that it gives a warning when calibration has expired, that way there is no gray area. Lately, however, I've noticed that when a certain person has a test before me, I always have to calibrate before I do my tests. At first I thought it was a chance occurrence. She had a test at 9:00 a.m. and the next test was one that I did a 3:00 p.m. Perhaps the calibration had expired. It seemed improbable but not impossible. I didn't start to think anything was up until it continued to happen, but only on days when this particular co-worker did the studies prior to mine. There are 3 of us who do tests and when the third girl did studies before mine, I wasn't having to calibrate. Yesterday the issue came to head. My lazy co-worker had a test with a study patient at 9:00 a.m. and I had a clinic patient to exercise immediately after her. When I started my test, lo and behold I had to calibrate. I was pissed! There is NO WAY that she had calibrated before her study, none whatsoever. So, I did it and completed my own test, fuming all the while.

First, let me clarify that it's not the act of calibrating the equipment that makes me angry. It takes all of 5 minutes to calibrate and it's very, very easy. What frustrates me is the fact that she is, in essence, knowingly collecting poor quality data. Who does that? I don't know another researcher who would, without a care at all, decrease the validity of a study. In fact, every other researcher that I've met does the exact opposite. They work as hard as they can to ensure the quality of their data. I knew that her attitude was not compatible for research considering that she doesn't care about about it at all, but this total disregard for the integrity of the study clearly exemplifies that she should NOT be part of our research team. So, my question becomes what do I do. I know that I should first and foremost approach her on the subject. I should ask her flat out if she has or has not been calibrating. However, after having a discussion with another co-worker, who's office space is back in the exercise lab, my assumption has been verified. Yesterday for sure she did not calibrate, and there is a witness. Knowing this, I have 3 roads that I could take.

Road 1: do nothing. I am doing my job why should it matter what she's doing? If I don't confront her then I won't have to deal with the resulting unpleasant attitude that will no doubt follow (she is not the friendliest of girls).

Road 2: approach her. Tell her that I know she hasn't been calibrating and that she is decreasing the efficacy of our study and that it is unacceptable. Let her know that I am aware of what's going on and ideally she will start doing her job properly.

Road 3: take this to the supervisors. Tell Matt (our boss) and Bryan (the fellow who is heading this study) what has happened. Let them know that she is not doing her job and tell them that the quality of the data has possibly been affected. Let them, as superiors, approach her and deal with the outcome. I mean, I'll still get some of the backlash because I'm the only person who could have ratted her out but at least I don't have to approach her myself.

I really don't know what's best here. I can't take road number 1. I would love to but I cannot stand by and let her single handedly ruin this study. Road 2 is an option but I have to deal with her and her reaction alone. She already feels like I'm trying to take over her job and I think she will react very poorly when I approach her. I know it's cowardly of me but I don't want to have to deal with her. Also, if I only go down the 2nd road then neither Matt nor Bryan know what's happened and I feel like they should know. Matt because he has to know that she might not be the best person to assign to research. Bryan should definitely know because it's his data that is being compromised. I do however feel that I owe her the right to explain the situation before I go to the supervisors with my concerns. I know what's happening but I think if I went directly over her head she would see it as a personal attack. Like I said ladies, I'm in a situation here and I'm not very happy that she's put me in it. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated because I need to deal with this sooner rather than later. BAH!

3 comments:

LeAnn said...

Wow, what a pickle! If I were you I would take road #3, letting the superiors know and handle it. I would tell them that exactly what you've written in your blog. I would also offer the names of your witnesses. As long as you tell them while letting them know you are concerned rather than you're tattle-tailing on your co-worker it would be a mature way of handling it. Road #2 could work too but it could get ugly, as you know, so if you announce your concerns to the supervisors first then they at least know the story and understand your position first. I don't understand all the research mumbo-jumbo but I can definitely understand issues with co-workers. The few serious issues I have had I have always gone to my supervisors first and explained the situation and concern. Honest to God, every time I went to my supervisors with concerns and problems it worked out well. That's my two cents on your problem. Good luck!!

project.100.gone said...

Ok, here is my opinion as a person that also helps collect data for research.

You need to go right to your supervisors and tell them about this. I don't consider it going over her head because as a professional she knows she should be calibrating. She has no right helping with the project if she isn't going to do things correctly. She's going to be mighty pissed but she should only be mad at herself. If it was something she was honestly making a mistake about...that's different. Your superiors must know what's going on so this issue stops plus it makes me wonder....is she cutting corners anywhere else?

And personally, I don't think I'd even mention anything directly to her. Being that calibration is one of those "duh" procedures with research, telling her that you know is just going to make her defensive and angry. I could see her drawing out more drama.

Hope that helps, I certainly don't envy you!

project.100.gone said...

Thanks ladies...I know what I have to do but it doesn't make it easier. I'm glad that you both seem to be thinking along the same lines as me though. I'll let you know how things work out!