Thursday, August 11, 2011

Salvation Fail

So it's been a while since I've jotted anything of substance down in the blog but I haven't had much going on. The last few weeks have been pretty quiet here in Michigan. I've been occupied at work with my normal duties as well as my new management stuff. I have so many classes, online and in-class, to take to get access to all of the systems I'll be using I don't have much down time. I really like that aspect of my new role. I still feel like I'm herding cats some days with the gals I supervise but I don't see that changing any day soon so I need to adjust my expectations.

Last weekend I finally decided to do some shopping. I have needed pants for a really long time and I can always use new tops. My upper body is finally catching up with the lower and I've gotten near the end of my 'skinny' tops and need some new items for work. I hate rotating the 5 shirts every week. I'm constantly struggling to decide if I should buy new clothes or not. I hate buying new things knowing that if I stay on track I won't be able to wear them for more than a few months, tops. However, I can't keep wearing bags to work. After talking to my aunt and some friends I decided to hit up Salvation Army. I didn't have much hope for pants but I figured if nothing else I could find some cheap tops which would off-set the cost of having to buy Lane Bryant pants.

There is a Salvation Army in Ann Arbor but everybody here talks about the massive store in Brighton which is about a 25 mile drive. It's a brand new store and has the best selection around, from what I've been told. After a few wrong turns and some profanity I finally found the store. When I first walked in all I could see were rows and rows of women's clothing. I thought for sure I'd be able to find something. Boy was I wrong. While there might have been 20 long rows of women's clothes, 3 of them happened to be of the plus sized variety. I spend quite a bit of time looking through all of it to make sure I didn't miss the diamond in the rough but it was all bad. There were a lot of nice, name brand clothes but it was all geared towards patrons much older than myself.

Now, my trip to Brighton wasn't a wasted trip. On my way to Salvation Army I passed by a Dick's Sporting and Old Navy, both of which I'd been meaning to get to for quite some time. I was pleasantly surprised at Dick's when I went in and saw that they not only carried the sports bra I wanted to buy, they also had my size in stock. I wasn't thrilled with the price, I've never spent almost $50 on a bra before but let me tell you, it's worth every penny. I tried it on in the dressing room and was hopping around and there was no movement at all. I don't know how it happens but my boobs are literally gone. It's the only time in my life that my stomach has stuck out further than my chest. It's quite unnerving, but in a good way. I also hit up Old Navy and bought almost $100 worth of back to school clothes for the kids. I'm terrible at spending money on myself but I rock at spending for them! I can't wait to see them in their new outfits!

Anyway, my shopping escapades aren't over. I really do need new pants. I had to clip my pager to my underwear yesterday so that my pants would stay up...that's not good. I think I'll hit up LB this weekend. I have a coupon and there is a denim sale so hopefully it won't cost me an arm and a leg to cover my butt. I'm also looking for a new winter coat. I tried mine on last weekend and it's comically large. I've pretty much decided on this amazing Kelly green pea coat from Old Navy, I just have to convince myself that spending $80 on a coat that I'll only be able to wear for one year is OK.

Anyway, that's about it. I hope you all have a great weekend and are enjoying this amazing summer weather!

3 comments:

project.100.gone said...

p.s. I totally just bought the coat from Old Navy!!

LeAnn said...

I've always been a tad jealous of the women on TV or in real life that seem to have a coat for almost every outfit. I have two coats, and I've had them for about five years. One that's casual, and the other is a pea coat, so it's a bit more formal. That's it. There are some really cute coats out there, and they're always expensive. Congrats on getting a new coat!

Yea, Jenny and I stopped at LB in DSM. I like a lot of stuff, but it adds up so fast. The coupons and what-not help, but not enough. It's so frustrating. I'd love to get two or three new outfits, but all the pieces together add up to $200+. No thanks. You have an awesome excuse though. I don't know what you have in your neck of the woods, but I've been surprised and happy with Kohls. Old Navy tends to be hit or miss for me.

Recently, Target has had some nice sports bras. I was attracted to them because they're neon-colored. I'm not really vouching for them, but they've been comfortable, and they're cute. LoL. I bought a regular bra from LB awhile ago, because it was on sale. I am actually really happy with it, and it makes me want to buy more bras from LB. It's so much more supportive than other bras I have even though it's the same size. I feel like I've been missing out on support. I'm hoping to win the lottery or something so I can replace my whole wardrobe and hire a personal trainer to kick my butt into shape. Don't worry, I'll keep dreaming.

project.100.gone said...

Kudos on the shopping! Like LeAnn stated, she and I were able to visit Lane Bryant and I had good luck. I actually wore new dress pants today and they were so comfortable and professional. I also bought a black pencil skirt that I'm a little uneasy about but may try to wear it to church this weekend.

I commend you on trying out the Salvation Army and looking for better deals. I did use Lane Bryant coupons but LeAnn has a good point...the coupon helps but things still add up quickly. I've tried going to the consignment shop here in Ames but the prices are still high in my opinion. I sometimes have luck with Kohl's but it's not consistent.

I'm also in the need of a coat. I still have my winter coat but due to the amount of white on it...it looks dingy even though it's been washed a lot. I would like a nicer looking winter coat but holy cow they are pricey. I had to toss my nicer coat in the spring because it was literally falling apart. I'm glad you could find something decent at Old Navy. I need to check out that store more often.

I did get some denium from Lane Bryant that has "tummy control" and holy cow they rock! Very comfortable and they do help a person look slimmer. :)