Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Recipe: spinach, red onion, bacon and feta frittata

Since I've been trying to lose weight, I've been eating a lot of eggs. For the longest time I've been eating a hard boiled egg every morning (I love them). However, I've been thinking about the cholesterol. Now, I know that with a healthy diet and no major genetic predisposition to hyperlipidemia there isn't a strong correlation between egg consumption and high cholesterol. However, I figure why chance it. So, I've started to use Egg Beaters. I wasn't sure if I would like them or not but I have to say that so far, I've been a fan.

Anyway, I was searching for egg recipes to try with my Egg Beaters and I stumbled across Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution page and I found this recipe. The only changes I made was to use Egg Beaters instead of whole eggs (you could use either)and I added bacon because life is better with bacon. I made this for dinner but it could be used for any meal of the day and served hot or cold.

You will need:
4 eggs or 1 c. Egg Beaters
1/2 medium red onion sliced thin
1 tbs. olive or canola oil
5 oz. frozen spinach thawed and drained
4 pieces bacon cooked and crumbled
1/2 cup feta cheese (you could omit this or substitute a cheese of your choice)

Preheat oven to 350.

In a non-stick, oven safeskillet heat oil over medium heat. Add onion slices and cook until tender (about 5 minutes). Add spinach and cook to heat through. Add bacon and feta cheese, stir quickly. Pour eggs evenly in the pan. Cook until the bottom sets. Move immediately to hot oven and cook uncovered for 10-15 minutes or until eggs are set or to your liking. Remove from oven and flip onto a plate. Makes 4 servings.

The only thing I would/will change when I make this again is that I would either use a different cheese or cut the feta in half. It is such a strong flavor and I found that much feta to be overwhelming in the dish (and I really like feta).

I really, really enjoyed this dish and I have to say that I can't wait to experiment more and more with the frittata concept! The possibilities are endless!!

1 comment:

gavsmom said...

You are right....life is better with bacon.

I do think this would still work with cheddar so I'm excited to try it with my cheese of choice. I do like feta too but only in a small amount (crumbled on a salad for example).