Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Recipe: Stuffed Peppers

Happy Wednesday! I hope that you are all having a great week. Mine has been crazy but pretty good so far. I have another recipe to share and then I promise to do a real blog, probably not until tomorrow but it will happen.

My mom used to make the best stuffed peppers and I could never quite get them to come out like hers when I would make them myself. I can't ask her how she used to make hers for obvious reasons so I was looking online to see if I could find a recipe that tasted like hers. While this recipe wasn't the same, the peppers came out really well anyway.

you will need:
4 bell peppers (whatever color you want)
1.5 c. cooked rice (I used brown but you can use white if you prefer)
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 medium onion chopped
2 tbs. olive or canola oil
1 clove garlic peeled and chopped
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
1 tsp. dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
0.5 c. ketchup
0.5 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
dash of Tabasco sauce

Directions:
Cut off tops of peppers and remove all seeds. In a large pot, bring water to boil with 1 tbs. salt. Add peppers and cook for 3 minutes or until peppers become bright colored and tender. Remove from water and set aside to dry and cool. In pot add oil, onion and garlic. Cook until tender. Remove from heat. Mix in rice, tomatoes, ground beef, oregano, salt and pepper. Fill peppers with meat/rice mixture.

In a small bowl mix ketchup, Worcestershire, and Tabasco. Spoon over top of peppers. Bake at 350 for 50 minutes.

My only complaint about these stuffed peppers is that they were a little drier than I am used to. I would probably add 1 c. of pasta sauce to give it a bit more moisture to the filling. Other than that, they were very tasty and quite easy to make.

No comments: