Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Recipe: barbecue pot roast

I found this recipe on the website for 'Fix It and Forget It.' This is actually an oven roasting recipe but I decided to pull out the crock pot instead and it turned out very well. I really like beef but I don't eat a lot of it at all. I got a small roast with the intentions of freezing part of it but it was so good I ate it all. After 4 days and 5 meals of pot roast, I think I need a beef break!

You will need:

3-4 lb. beef roast (I used an eye of round roast that was just under 2 lbs. and it worked just as well)

1 medium onion, diced
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 c. water
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. apple cider vinegar (I used balsamic because it's what I had at home)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tbs. pepper
1 tbs. garlic powder
1 tbs. Worcestershire sauce

**I also threw in half a 1 lb. bag of baby carrots because there is nothing better than carrots cooked with a roast!

Combine all of the ingredients (minus the roast) in a bowl and whisk to combine. After placing the roast in the crock pot pour the sauce over the top. I cooked on high for the first 3 hours and then I set it to low for the rest of the cooking time (until the carrots were tender). It was very tasty. I served the roast and carrots with mashed potatoes and the gravy from the roast was quite tasty over the potatoes! This is a bit more sweet and tangy than your average pot roast but it was a nice change.

On the website, a lot of the comments said that this froze really well too so if you bought a bigger roast you could easily freeze part of it for a quick meal down the road!

No comments: