Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Recipe: Apple Turkey Salad

When my lovely friend Jenny was in Michigan she brought me a turkey cookbook that she received at a basketball game. There are a lot of really tasty looking recipes in this collection of turkey dishes and I decided I'd try one of the turkey salads and have it for lunch this week. If I make this again, which I think I will, I would omit the cinnamon and nutmeg, it's almost like eating turkey dessert with those 2 ingredients in there... Anywho, a good recipe on the whole, thanks Jenny!

you will need:
2.5 c cooked turkey or chicken (chopped up)
1 medium granny smith apple, chopped
0.25 c raisins or craisins
1 rib celery diced
2 tbs. light mayo
2 tbs. plain, fat free yogurt (you could also use sour cream)
0.25 tsp. each cinnamon and nutmeg
0.5 tsp. curry powder (I left this out b/c I know I don't like it)
salt and pepper to taste

directions:
throw it all in a bowl and mix until combined. The book suggests serving it on lettuce leaves but I'm eating mine with the olive oil and rosemary Triscuits. It's quite good and very quick and easy and a nice change from my usual sandwich. The perfect lunch!!

2 comments:

project.100.gone said...

Glad you like that recipe book!

The reciple reminds me of a chicken salad recipe that I still need to try. I should make both next month at some point and compare.

I'm anti-curry too. Never cared much for that spice.

I think I'm going to try any of the poultry salads with pita chips.

Nicole said...

Pita chips would be good too! I love salads like this on crackers and little crunchy things. I just made a batch of tuna salad last night and will be eating it on my Triscuits as well.