Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Recipe: honey garlic meatballs

One of the nice things about living in Michigan is access to Canadian television. There are a few shows that the channel airs that are pretty solid. One such show is call 'Best Recipes Ever' and is, obviously, a cooking show. Last week Kari, the host, made these incredible looking honey garlic meatballs and I just had to try them. I love garlic, I love honey, I love meatballs...how could these be bad? After making the recipe I found them to be an adequate meatball in a delicious sauce!

You will need:
1 egg
1 small onion, grated
1/4 sweet red peppers, finely diced
1/4 cup (50 mL) dry bread crumbs
2 tsp (10 mL) soy sauce
2 tsp (10 mL) Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
1 lb (454 g) lean ground beef ( you could also use ground turkey or pork for these)
1 cup (250 mL) beef stock
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 tsp (18 mL) liquid honey
1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
1 dash hot pepper sauce
1 green onions, chopped


In bowl, whisk together egg, onion, red pepper, bread crumbs, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and pepper; mix in beef. Roll by rounded tablespoonfuls (15 mL) into balls; place on greased rimmed baking sheet. Bake in 450°F oven until no longer pink inside, about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, in large skillet, whisk beef stock, garlic, honey, cornstarch and hot pepper sauce; cook, whisking, over medium heat until thickened, 2 minutes.

Add meatballs and any accumulated juices to pan, stirring to coat. Serve sprinkled with onion.

The only change I made was instead of hot pepper sauce in the glaze I used red pepper flakes, mostly because I didn't have any hot sauce on hand. The recipe also suggests serving these over cooked egg noodles, which I had, but I used the last of my leftover rice from my stir fry last night. The meatballs and sauce went so well with the rice that instead of making noodles I just decided to make up another batch of rice and eat them that way. These would be great eaten on their own or with any other starch of your choice. They are sweet and just a little spicy, which I like. I might toy with the base of the meatball itself (for just a bit more flavor) but the glaze is perfect, in my humble opinion.

2 comments:

LeAnn said...

Jenny ought to like this one. She's always up for making balls out of meat! LoL!

project.100.gone said...

LeAnn is correct....balls of meat are right up my alley. I'm gonna try it!