Tuesday, June 14, 2011

C25K

Don't be fooled by the seemingly random title of my blog, C25K is a real thing. I've been meaning to increase the intensity of my exercise routine for a while now and just haven't had the desire or motivation to really challenge myself. However, my dear friend Rishy is rocking it out on the bike trails and just completed her first 20 mile bike ride this last weekend, go Rishy!!! While I'm ridiculously proud of her and uber supportive, her accomplishments have kicked in a bit of my competitiveness, which is impressive because I'm not a crazy competitive person.

Anyway, I don't like cycling so I have no desire to run out and buy a bike, however, now that I'm down 63 pounds I feel like it's finally time to get myself moving in the direction of jogging/running. Enter C25K. This is one of the many, many, many walk to run interval programs out there. C25K, which stands for couch to 5K, is a program that is designed to have anybody going from the couch to running 30 minutes (almost a 5K at a pace of 10 minute miles) in 9 weeks. I decided to go with this program over the others because everybody on Lose It has set their sights on C25K and I figure support in numbers and all.

I did the first workout this morning and it went really well. I've done some 1 minute interval runs so I'm not surprised that this morning was good bordering on easy. However, I don't want to get too cocky because I know that it's going to start getting more difficult. My desire is to be able to accomplish this program in the 9 weeks it's supposed to take but I figure I'm in no rush and if I need to repeat some workouts or even weeks I will. Like everything else I'm trying do this the right way and that means that I have to take the time I need.

Anywho, that's all I really have. I just like to keep you up to date with what I'm doing. I apologize in advance for any OMG this sucks posts that might come out of this experience!

2 comments:

LeAnn said...

Sounds like a good addition or step-up to your routine. I too am not a cyclist, nor do I foresee it happening for me. As odd as it sounds, I'd rather jog than ride a bike. If I have to go like 20 miles, I suppose it'd be faster if I rode a bike.

You will have to keep us updated on how well the C25K works. I always just start running with a goal in mind, which probably isn't good on the body. I should ease into it. I like that you are willing to repeat days or weeks. Nine weeks can go fast, so why not extend it?

Thanks for the french dip recipe. It sounds easy/doable. I have had good french dips and I've had bad french dips, so I'm always iffy about ordering them. If I make one, then I have no one to blame but me.

project.100.gone said...

This sounds like something I have on file on my computer....however it's titled as a walk/run interval program so you can gradually improve your endurance and end up running for more than an hour. I do really desire to do a 5K some day so I'm glad you're giving this a try. It's sparked my interest in visiting that program I got years ago from Tiffany.