Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Recpie: Honey Lime Chicken

Hey ladies. I don't know about you but I eat a lot of chicken. It's cheap, it's healthy and it's fairly easy to prepare well. However, I tend to cook chicken the same way and I get bored pretty easily. I recently went to the grocery store and got a really good price on split chicken breasts and chicken drumsticks. I decided that I wanted to roast them but I had never roasted chicken before. Well, when I was searching around I found an excellent recipe, which technically wasn't for roasting but it turned out really well.

Take whatever chicken you want (I used 1 bone-in, skinned chicken breast and 2 drumsticks) and soak in a salt-water brine. To make the brine boil 6-8 c. water and dissolve 1/4 c. table salt in it. Let cool completely before you pour over chicken. Soak chicken in brine for 5-8 hours. Rinse and pat dry before cooking.

Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.

If you're going to eat the chicken skin on you'll want to rub the surface of the chicken with a few tablespoons of olive oil or butter. You can sprinkle it with black pepper if you like. You need to roast chicken with the skin on. You can always remove it after it cooks. This will lock the moisture in.

Bake chicken at 425 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove from oven baste with honey lime glaze. Turn heat down to 325 and bake for 15 minutes. Reapply glaze and bake another 15 minutes or until thermometer reads 160 degrees in the thickest portion of the breast. The white and dark meat will cook at the same speed. Let stand for 5 minutes and serve.

Honey Lime Glaze:
1/4 c. honey
2 Tbs. lime juice
2 Tbs. soy sauce
the juice of 1 can of pineapple rings
a dash of cayanne pepper (optional)

Heat all ingredients together, slowly bring to a boil and thicken with 1-2 Tbs. cornstarch. Strain to make sure there are no lumps.


You can also make this in a crock pot. Remove chicken from the brine and toss into bottom of your crockpot with pineapple slices. Make glaze the same way and pour over chicken. Bake on low for 5-8 hours or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.

No comments: