Sunday, August 5, 2012

A Day of Rest!

I am so happy that today/tomorrow is Sunday.  We only have church and a potluck meal at church on our agenda.   It's been a busy few days so I'm craving some down time at home.  

Gavin particpated in his final camp for the summer and traveled to eastern Iowa to explore some caves.  He was gone Wednesday-Friday and seemed to enjoy it.  Now that I've typed this, I've realized that I neglected to start his laundry from that adventure.  Shoot.  He has a week and a half off before he starts 7th grade on August 15.

I had to work Friday night for DMACC.   It wasn't great.   I had an argumentative class that wouldn't stay on track with our topics and discussions.   I was so happy to get out of there at 10pm.  We got up very early today to particpate in a disaster exercise held at the Des Moines airport.  Jon was the Exercise Director and has been stressing about the exercise for awhile now.   Gavin and I were two of the many victims in the set-up plane crash.   We had to be there by 7am and it was actually delayed in the middle of it due to severe weather.   We even got a trip to an emergency room as the hospitals used the fake emergency for practice too.   Our hospital didn't do very well.   Gavin's fake injury was a femur fracture.  I had a tib-fib fracture.   It was fun watching all the firefighters/paramedics respond.    Some issues did arise during the exercise and provide more stress for Jon so I feel pretty bad about that.   He spent months planning the exercise and I don't think many people think about that. 

Both Jon and I are participating in Weight Watchers now.  It's been a good first week in our endeavor.  We were both able to have hot dogs at the lunch today at the airport (free food) and still have a really nice meal for supper.   We made our black bean quesadillas and a stir fry with green pepper, red pepper, yellow squash, zucchini, and mushrooms.   I love that most vegetables and fruits are zero points for Weight Watchers.   We could eat as much of the stir fry that we wanted.   Both Jon and I have plenty of points right now in the process.   I ate all my points today but there were days last week that I struggled to eat them all. 

I think that's enough for now.   Hoping to blog more next week since I hopefully have some free time at home.

1 comment:

LeAnn said...

I was wondering if you'd blog as I got an email after midnight last night saying that you commented on my blog. Yes, I was still awake after midnight. My sleep issues are completely frustrating. Anywho, the disaster exercise sounds interesting. There are always going to be issues during a disaster, so that should have been expected. But, I bet Jon wasn't too happy about the issues and weather.

Maybe living with your WW partner will help you keep each other on track. Did the stir fry sauce count as points? I've been craving a Casey's pizza for awhile, but not sure if I should or when I should get one. I don't want to feel too guilty. Plus, I had pancakes this morning.

So, what did you do about your argumentative class? Yell? Give up? I think I would be at my crabbiest on a Friday evening to be a teacher or a student.

I'm on a roll for getting things done today, so I imagine I'll be blogging later. Kudos for getting one punched out.

P.S. Did Gavin say anything about the letters he received at camp?