Thursday, November 10, 2011

Soup's On!

Hey all:

After reading Nicole's recent post about a soup recipe, it made me realize that I've acheived a goal...well sort of. I never really set the goal but I do recognize the situation as a success. Fact of the matter is that I'm addicted to the deli soups at Hy-Vee. I ate them weekly in the past. I especially love the Cheddar Baked Potato & Ham and Chicken Tortilla Soup. And as you may realize both are cream-based soups so they are healthy in moderation but I was eating them often and I'd often eat the entire container in a meal. It has been weeks since I bought any of that soup. In essence, I haven't really missed them much. That fact dawned on me tonight as I reviewed Nicole's recipe for her Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili. I have been eating soup often but it's been Campbell's tomato soup. I bought a flat at Sam's Club and typically keep a ton of it on hand since it's simple to make, very satisfying, and not horrible for you.

We've also been eating out a lot less. My budget is very tight this month and will be until tax season comes and I hopefully get a refund to help with some debt. We really haven't missed it...well at least I haven't missed it. We went to King Buffet tonight (chinese cuisine) and it really wasn't that good. I regreted going there after I took my first bite of food. It didn't help that the food temperatures weren't right on the buffet. The owners admitted that one of the buffet tables was broken. Umm...you shouldn't be serving food from it unless it's working properly. I actually reported them to the state tonight via the Internet. Hopefully my complaint is taken seriously.

Swim & Gym ends next week! Yippee! It's really not been that strenuous or anything but it will be nice to come home around 4-5pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays rather than after 6pm. It will be starting up again in February before I know it. Sadly I need to already start hiring people for the spring session so I can't put the program completely out of my mind. I even have to start preparing for the Summer Youth Fitness program too since I'll be hiring in a few months and advertising.

Ok, I'm off to bed!

2 comments:

LeAnn said...

You can tell we grew up together - we both like tomato soup. I'm not much of a soup person, but I do like tomato and chili. Chicken noodle is pretty good, but it's not my favorite. I never buy it. I only eat it at Grandma's. It's good you're eating out less; I guess the money situation helps that. I'm curious what my eating will be like now that I have more time to do it. Due to my busy schedule, I rarely got to the grocery store, so naturally, I ate less. Chinese sounds good (maybe not the King Buffet though). It'll be interesting what your Internet complaint will do.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the reprieve from Swim & Gym. Just like me with the play. I still have some financial things to take care with the play, but overall, I have a three month break.

P.S. You spell achieved wrong.

Love, the English teacher

Healthy Lady in Progress said...

Tomato soup is delicious...however, I have to have grilled cheese when I make it.

Congrats on eating out less. I always think Chinese sounds good, and I get really strong cravings but I'm always disappointed after eating it. I always feel miserable and wish I hadn't spent the money. Some day I might learn that the tastiness isn't worth the gut ache after.