Monday, February 14, 2011

Recipe: Chicken Tetrazzini

My new recipe for this week was chicken tetrazzini. I remember really enjoying this dish when I was younger but not only have I not had it in years, I've never tried my hand at it. I found a 'made over' recipe that was supposed to cut down on some of the extra calories. Even though there were some changes made I found this dish to be very rich and incredibly tasty. It's a bit more caloric dense that some of the other recipes that I've been sharing but we deserve to treat ourselves every once in a while! The original recipe says that this should make 4 servings, I find it to be closer to 6. At six servings it's around 350 calories each.

You will need:
6-8 oz. cooked chicken breast (I used turkey because I had some in the freezer)
4 oz. pasta cooked al dente (this bakes so you don't want it completely done)
1-2 cups of chicken broth
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/3 c. diced celery
8 oz. sliced mushrooms
2 oz. reduced fat cream cheese
2-3 oz. white wine or dry sherry
1 Tbs. butter
approx. 1/3 c. flour
3 Tbs. grated Parmesan cheese
2/3 c. part skim mozzarella cheese
2.5 oz. French's fried onions

In a 4 quart pot heat butter and add in onion, celery and mushrooms. Cook until veggies are tender, about 5 minutes. Add salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. Pour in wine and melt cream cheese into pot. Sauce will thicken slightly. Add flour slowly until you have a thick mixture. Add broth to create a gravy. Add cooked pasta, chicken and Parmesan cheese. Mix thoroughly. Pour into a sprayed casserole dish and cover with tinfoil. Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes. Take out of oven, stir and top with mozzarella (Jenny, you could easily leave this off). Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, top with fried onions and bake another 5 minutes. Remove from oven, let cool for 5 minutes and enjoy.

The prep of this dish is a bit more time intensive than most of the recipes that I post but it is so worth it when all is said and done. Enjoy!

2 comments:

project.100.gone said...

Wow that does sound tasty. I always appreciate recipes that allow me to leave out motzerella cheese. I can't spell motzerella by the way.

I've never cooked anything that's required wine in the recipe. It's about time I tried.

project.100.gone said...

Yeah, the cheese really doesn't add much in the way of flavor, at least the mozzorella doesn't. I would definitely keep in the Parmesan though.

I've found a lot of recipes recently that call for some sort of alcohol, usually a wine or sherry. I tend to use white wine in all of the recipes that call for anything. I might need to break down and buy some sherry though, just to see what it's like in these recipes. However, I thought the wine worked really well in this dish.