Saturday, June 26, 2010

Recipe to Share

Hey all:

While shopping at Hy-Vee the other day, I had the opportunity to try a recipe they were sharing with the public. Actually, I tasted it twice....very yummy! It's also very simple.

Bean Quesadillas

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion, finely diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 (15 ounce) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 tomatoes chopped
1/2 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
12 (12 inch) flour tortillas
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Directions:

1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium heat and saute the onion and garlic until soft. Mix in beans, bell pepper, tomatoes, and corn; cook until heated through.

2. Spread 6 tortillas with equal amounts of the bean/veggie mixture. Sprinkle with equal amounts of cheddar cheese and use remaining 6 tortillas to create tops of quesadillas.

3. Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place quesadillas in the skillet and cook, turning once, until cheese is melted and both sides are lightly brown.

Serves 12 if you portion it out appropriately. I'll obviously be reducing the size of the recipe.

If I actually use the oil-skillet method, I'm going to use olive oil. I do prefer mine be lightly browned but I may sacrifice that desire and just melt them on the George Foreman grill to make it healthier. I also may try wheat tortillas or sun-dried tomato tortillas.

Enjoy! Let me know what you think!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nicole said...

sounds pretty tasty...I might have to give that one a try!