Thursday, November 26, 2009

Things I'm thankful for!

Hello ladies! I'm sure that you're not going to be able to read this on Thanksgiving but when you get back to the Internet I thought you might like a blog to read...especially since I've been AWOL since last Friday. This was a really crappy week at work, we were short staffed and because of the way the work fell, I had a crazy busy week with a lot of work and the other girls had pretty smooth sailing all week. It's not their fault or mine it's just the way the dice fall sometimes. If I had blogged earlier in the week it would have been all bitching. Instead I wanted to wait and blog today when I would be in a better mood.

While doing an EKG on an older clinic patient (I believe he was 46 ish) I was able to have a very insightful conversation about Thanksgiving or lack thereof. I asked what his plans were for the Holiday and he was commenting on how people don't appreciate Thanksgiving for what it is. He felt that we, as a society, have very obviously shifted the meaning of Thanksgiving from a day to be truly thankful for the blessings we have in life to a day that is the start of the Christmas season. I had never really thought of it but I kind of have to agree. Almost every patient that I asked about their Thanksgiving plans (and I'm talking young, old and in between) talked only of the shopping that they were going to do on Friday. It made me a little sad to hear how people talked about the holiday. While I realize that I can't change the way that we as a culture view Thanksgiving, I could work on the way that I thought of the day. So, instead of talking about all of the negative things that I wanted to earlier this week, I am going to list the things I am most thankful for in life. Enjoy!

Having a job. There are days when I want to murder my co-workers and strangle small children but I have a good job at a great hospital and and learning so much and making fabulous connections!

Having a nice home. Even though it is way too far away from the people that I love, I have a roof over my head and a warm bed to sleep in at night.

Being me. There are days when I desperately want to look different or have more gumption. There are days when I want to be more outgoing and fun. However, I love being me and am truly thankful for the experiences I have had that have shaped the person I am today.

It might sound weird but I am so glad for technology. I can't imagine how much harder it would be to live so far away without cell phones, digital cameras, video recorders and the internet. Even if the use of said technology sometimes makes me cry it's a wonderful, wonderful thing.

My wonderful friends. I don't know that I could ever say enough about the people who are willingly a part of my life. I couldn't get through the days without knowing that there are people out there who choose to love me!

My fabulous family. I don't know how I could get through the days without knowing that there are people who will love me unconditionally. We don't have the same luxury of choosing our family like we do our friends. Regardless, I am truly blessed here.

Ok, I could go on and on with my list but I hit the big ones. Thank you ladies for being my friends and being there for me always! You're rock stars! I hope that you had a great Thanksgiving with lots of family, friends, good spirit and good food! Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

LeAnn said...

Good blog! I am amazed at how greedy people are during this season, even when they really should be thankful for what they do have. You'd think that with the economy, the war, and H1N1 people would count their blessings and be grateful for their health, family, and the things they do have. So I think you're right. Jenny and I had a pretty darn good Thanksgiving, but I'll let her go into detail. Plus I will probably blog on it too. Have a good rest of the weekend. :)

project.100.gone said...

LeAnn made some good points so I'll try not to repeat them. Now that I'm older, I often wonder how the Thanksgiving tradition will change in our family. It obviously won't be held at my Grandma's forever but I really hope it continues to be a family-gathering. Honestly, I'm hoping my Uncle Ronny and Aunt Elaine take it over at their home. Who knows?