Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Happy Early Halloween

My ability to create crafty and unique titles to my blog entries is disappointing.   Let's fixate on the fact that I blogged more than once in a month!

Yesterday (Monday) did not go well for this lady but I'm pleased to report that my Tuesday is starting off on a better note.    I don't teach today so I'm excited to work on grading and do some prep work for upcoming classes.  I will admit that work has felt a little disappointing lately as I've been busting my butt to create more engaging experiences for my students.    Even though activities are more fun and interactive, the students act like it's still as bad as staring at a screen and taking notes.   Sigh.   My course for PE students gets the prize for being the worst.   Teaching elementary PE should be very exciting and motivating and they act like they're at the dentist when in class.

Anywho...Jon and I have been attending a bible-study type class in Ankeny.   It's with a different church (Methodist).  The course is called ALPHA and for the most part it's been pretty nifty.    You can actually find the videos on YouTube as the gentleman that created the course has 45-minute videos for each of the big topics.    I can actually say that he's one of the best public speakers I've watched in years.   He's also British and I dig the accent.   The program had a half-day event this past Saturday.   Usually the program only takes place on Sunday evenings for a couple hours.   So Saturday started off as expected...breakfast, videos, group discussion, etc.  Everything was fine until the last 30 minutes.   We moved from our usual place to the church's chapel area.   It makes me giggle now but some sort of meditation music was playing.   I call it "seagull music" as all I remember are sounds of the ocean and seagulls squawking.   The main group leader did sort of a progressive relaxation exercise with the group with deep breathing and muscle relaxation.   (I wasn't horribly freaked out yet...but I could tell the program was taking a much different direction.)    Then she announces that all of the group leaders/assistants are going to come to us one-by-one and lay hands on us and pray and stuff.    I severely dislike that type of stuff.  (It seems wrong to use the word 'hate' with a religious topic.)   I'm not a touchy person and I like my space.   And of course, the main leader and an assistant make a bee-line for me.   I probably came off as rude but I was clear from the start that I didn't want to pray as a group and no one was going to touch me.   I don't know if this caught them off guard or what but needless to say, Jon and I left pretty quickly.   It bums me out because it went from a program that I truly enjoyed and that short experience creeped me out.   We do plan to go back on Sunday as it's an assumption that it's going back to the typical video-discussion format.   I actually plan to to talk to the main lady too and fortunately time has allowed me to calm down.   I'm not really mad but I want her to understand that a warning would have been nice before we all marched into that space on Saturday.   I know some people take the class because they are trying to figure things out and I could see that situation being very uncomfortable for some.    It felt very forced and I don't think that's supposed to be a characteristic of the program.

I went to Weight Watcher's last week and dropped about 5 lbs.   And I fell off the wagon already.   We went out to eat a lot this week.   A lot.  I'm in a funk at home in regards to our dinners and food choices.   I'm not creative in the kitchen and my motivation to whip up a wholesome meal is often lacking, especially on work days.   Sadly I'm sure I've gained weight back but I'll know more tomorrow.   The plan is to stop by and just weigh-in as we want to be at home when Trick-or-Treat hours start.   Then again it's supposed to storm tomorrow evening.   I hate when the weather sucks on Halloween.   I'm not sure why Ankeny isn't having trick-or-treating on Thursday.  

Time to dig into grading.   Yippee.




No comments: