Friday, September 20, 2013

Grateful for the Weekend

Greetings:

Work is somewhat settled so I decided to take some time for myself.   I'm sure I'm forgetting to do something major though....that's the fun part.   I'm leaving early today too as I've worked over 50 hours already.   I'm excited to do things around the house and clean a bit since that is mindless work.   We have huge tree limbs and stuff down too...the neighbor is arranging the clean up but I will probably still need to do something for our property.   I am attempting to send myself pictures from my phone but the process isn't working.    I'm sure you can envision large tree limbs laying in our driveway.

Woohoo!!  Quick edit:  


 

We were supposed to go to Illinois this weekend but that's canceled with Jon still being in Colorado.   We were going to a basset hound rescue fundraiser.   Maybe next year!   It's actually really fun because tons of basset hounds run a muck and participate in a parade.   Jon is supposed to be back on Monday or Tuesday next week if the work progresses in Colorado with locating people and pulling out search teams.

Eating well and exercising have been thrown out the window from a high rise building.    I've been super stressed lately and it's causing me to be impulsive with food choices and overeat.   Sigh.   I'm also constantly busy and cannot figure out how to get to the gym.   I'm going to have to exercise in the morning or something.    I'd like to exercise with Jon but there is no way to do it.    I work late Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday.   Wednesday and Fridays work but we try to do Weight Watcher's on Wednesday too.

My DMACC job is going fine...I am able to work ahead and keep up with my tasks.    ISU is another story.  My class for PE majors is taking so much time.   I was told I could easily use materials from the professor that typically teaches it but I wasn't happy with the materials.   I'm taking a lot of time to fine tune presentations, homework expectations, etc.   The students start teaching our lab kids next week and I want them to do well.    My health classes are going OK...I'll have a lot of grading pile up soon.   My position for coordinating the grad students is kicking my butt.   A lot of little situations keep occurring and the collection of them all takes so much of my day.    I'm going to send the students an email outlining my expectations for professionalism as some assume I just handle their issues for them.   We had major chaos this week due to a TA needing a substitute.   He was told to find some options (which he did) but he never got their phone numbers!   When a sub was actually needed for a certain, acute event he couldn't get ahold of the people to teach his 8am class.   Who does he call?   Jenny.   At the buttcrack of dawn when she's still at home and unable to do much to help the situation.

The after school program has also been less than enjoyable.    The risk management requirements are such a pain.   Any time I submit paperwork or information to them, I feel like I am getting scolded even though I'm doing what I should be.    They seem inconvenienced that I'm asking for background checks.    I have a couple great employees but a lot of the volunteers and helpers aren't showing great work ethic.   I ask for ideas for games and activities and they act like I'm asking for the calculation related to nuclear fission.    Back when I started with Swim & Gym in 2004, everyone was anxious to suggest activities and be part of the program.   I cannot figure out what I can do to make people more excited and helpful.   I feel like a mom during the program that has to boss people around to get the work I want. 

On a bright note, I'm liking the bible study program on Sunday nights.   It's for couples but I'm obviously going solo with Jon gone.   We have a free will donation meal at 5:30.   We watch a video in the series after that.    Then we go to small group discussions that are purposely organized so your significant other is not with you in the group.   I think Jon and I are the only unmarried couple.   For some reason it throws people off when I correct them.   They'll ask where my husband is and I'll try to humorously state that I haven't found him yet but Jon is in contention for the job.

Alrighty, that's enough for now.   I've looked busy for awhile in my office and I'm going to sneak home.


1 comment:

LeAnn said...

Yay for blogging. I am hoping to get one in today. It does sound like you have long, busy weeks. I think you need to turn your work-outs into times and activities that will combat your stress. Doesn't always work, I know. For example, on days where students tick me off or I'm upset about my love life, I try to use that emotion to fuel my jogging or whatnot. I am so jealous that you have a walking/jogging trail so close to where you live. Make Gavin or Jon join you for a walk or jog around that park. That's my suggestion.

I didn't realize you guys had such bad storms; it didn't reach up here. Even though you're bummed about the Illinois trip being canceled, I bet having the weekend to get more things accomplished helps.

I understand your frustration with work ethic and motivation. I think intrinsic motivation and self-propelled work ethic is dead or dying. There always has to be a carrot dangled for people to do something. Also, problem solving is a lost art. I remember (in college more so than high school) that if I didn't know how to do something or there was an issue, I had to solve it on my own. Yes, I may have called you, Jason, or Mom for help, but I had to do the solving of the problem. It's ridiculous how hand-held students are. I really try to make them solve something on their own before getting the solution from me.

I'm glad you are liking the Bible study. If the Pope can be more open minded so can your congregation members. I know they're not Catholic but still.

That's all I have for now.