Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Ankeny Updates

I finally took some time tonight to wander the property and house to take some photos.   I think I'll start with the garden.   One half of it is really taking off and flourishing.   The other half (planted with seeds) is not doing so hot.   Mental note for next year.


We have it fenced in so the rabbits and basset hound stay out.   As you can see, the tomatoes are freaking tall. 



Many of the flowers are now small green tomatoes.   I only planted the BigBoy hybrid variety of tomatoes.  



The cucumbers are taking off too and starting to crawl up the lattice we set up.   There are a few flowers so hopefully we have some cukes soon.  



This is the "dud" side of the garden.  Two rows of green onion and two rows of carrots are massive fails.   We have maybe two successful carrots growing and two tuffs of green onion.   Boo. 



Just another view of the garden...



A project completed by Gavin and Jon.   We had an extra garbage can in the basement (used to store dog food) and decided to try and lower the water bill.   Some of the storms in June have produced a lot of rain water for watering the garden.

The next pictures are the updated status of the house now that our large furniture is now in place.   I'm really proud of the basement.



The treadmill and the love seat fit nicely.   Gavin's been spending a lot of time down here since it's really cold. 



We moved our shelf down in the basement to store all of the DVDs and such.



Our TV also found a new home in the basement.   It's not connected to the dish yet (it may not ever be connected to it).  It's nice having Gavin's Xbox down here and out of the way in the living room.



Nothing in this room has changed expect for larger and more frequent piles of dirty clothes.  I'm just happy that I have a washer and dryer that don't require the use of quarters.  It's also nice to not have to wait for another tenant to get their clothes out of the machine so I can finally use it. 



This is the living room with 3/4 of a basset hound.  She followed me during my photo shoot and I'm suprised she's not in more pictures.   I didn't add anything to the living room.



Just another view of the living room and the entire dog.



It's not a dresser and it's not a chest of drawers.   It's a "chesser".  The nifty feature of this piece of furniture is the center.   The square portion is actually a cabinet-like space that allows me to stick things inside the chesser that I'd typically put on top (jewerly box, perfumes, etc.) 



This is the wonderful new king-sized bed.   My back loves it.  I'm sleeping better.   I never make my side of the bed so I'm sure you can figure out where I sleep on it. 

I have a lot of things to try and get done in the next weeks.   I need to be out of the Ames apartment by July 31. 

  • Get the rest of my belongings out of my apartment, especially the kitchen
  • Prepare for Saturday's garage sale
  • Clean the Ames apartment (blah)
  • Organize my office area in the Ankeny home
  • Reorganize the kitchen in Ankeny and create a pantry in the basement
I should put exercise, eating better, and other healthy habits on that list too.   Sigh.  Those aspects of my life haven't gotten a jump start.  By writing this, I've also realized that I neglected to make my next counseling appointment.  Whoopsie.  I'm proud to say that we've been putting more thought into meals.  I've remembered to set out meat to thaw for some wholesome meals.   We've recently made cranberry pork loin, pot roast, grilled, etc.   Sadly portion control wasn't necessary enforced.  

I guess that's enough for now....another update soon to come!

2 comments:

Healthy Lady in Progress said...

It looks GREAT Jenny! I'm so glad you're down there and that the majority of the move is gone. Good luck finishing everything up.

Great job on meal planning. Don't be too hard on yourself for the portion control. Just focusing on one aspect at a time is good. Once you're in the habit of at-home meals, then really focus on portion. Baby steps and you'll there!

LeAnn said...

Wow, lots of pictures. You should have taken some of the garage sale. I hope the rest of your Ames stuff fits in the house. The set up works pretty well. Where is your office space in the house? Like, where are you going to do a majority of your work?

I'm having a craving for summer fruits and veggies, so when I go grocery shopping later, I hope to stock up on stuff. Hopefully, you get a good harvest, lol, from your garden. You should've grown zucchini though.