Friday, July 15, 2011

Recipe: herbed summer squash and potato torte

I'm always looking for fun and new ways to get my favorite veggies into my diet. I love zucchini and summer squash but never really know what to do with them. I stumbled across this recipe when I was browsing online one day, read the ingredient list and simply had to try it. OMG (yes, I just OMGd you), was it ever delicious.

You will need:

1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme (I used 1 tsp. dried thyme)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/8-inch-thick rounds
12 ounces yellow crookneck squash or regular yellow summer squash, cut into 1/8-inch-thick rounds
6 teaspoons olive oil

Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter two 8-inch-diameter cake pans. Set aside 1/4 cup sliced green onions. Toss remaining green onions, cheese, flour, thyme, salt and pepper in medium bowl to blend.

Layer 1/6 of potatoes in concentric circles in bottom of 1 prepared pan, overlapping slightly. Layer 1/4 of squash in concentric circles atop potatoes. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil. Sprinkle with 1/6 of cheese mixture. Repeat with 1/6 of potatoes, then 1/4 of squash and 1 teaspoon oil. Sprinkle with 1/6 of cheese mixture. Top with 1/6 of potatoes. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil. Sprinkle with 1/6 of cheese mixture and press gently to flatten. Repeat procedure with second cake pan and remaining potatoes, squash, oil, and cheese mixture.

Cover pans with foil. Bake until potatoes are almost tender, about 40 minutes. Remove foil; bake uncovered until tortes begin to brown and potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes longer.

Cut each torte into wedges. Sprinkle wedges with 1/4 cup green onions; serve.

I only made half of the recipe in a casserole dish that I had and it worked out really well. I did end up cooking this longer than was originally instructed to get a crispier texture. This was really good when I ate the initial serving but I think I liked the leftovers even more. I think it's one of those dishes that gets even better after everything has a chance to mingle.

p.s. if you make this recipe it's really ugly. Don't let the ugliness get you down!

1 comment:

project.100.gone said...

In my opinion, many squash and zuchinni dishes look ugly at completion or while on your plate. You're right....ugliness should not turn a hungry person away. They are still typically delicious. This recipe sort of sounds like a squash and potato parfait.