Friday, April 12, 2013

Middle of April!!

I have time to kill but not enough to dive into any major work so I thought I'd try to crack out a blog entry before departing from Ames.   (I have to teach for DMACC tonight in the grand city of Perry.)

Life has been fairly hectic so I think I'm going to use the random, non-organized method for writing my thoughts down.

  • I'm not loving the taste of spring and nice weather followed by a reminder of winter weather.   It did snow in Ames yesterday when I was leaving town.  I really want the weather to shape up so we can enjoy our parade next weekend and not shiver to death.  I also have a strong hankering to clean up the yard.   We need to rake along the fence line and pick up sticks.   I also need to finish my plan for the garden so we can get someone over to till up more of the lawn for our expansion project.   We are also installing a gutter system to collect water to hopefully lower our water bill.   I'm still afraid that the drought situation will be problematic again this summer.   Everyone is so happy about our current rainfalls but we are severely behind in needed precipitation to fix the soil and ground water from last year's situation.   If we have a water ban, it's basically going to cause death for the garden which is a lot of wasted money and effort.  
  • The weight loss process has hit a major hitch due to poor eating, impulsive eating, and a lack of working out.   Sad thing is that I knew I'd be very busy so I could have planned better for these weeks but I didn't.   I'm going to try and prep some food this weekend so we can throw meals into the oven and have a plan for supper.   It's too easy to decide to eat out when we get home.   
  • Impulsive eating:  it's been bizarre lately.   I don't understand why some foods jump into my brain.  Usually these foods are not appealing and when I do eat them, I don't feel so hot afterwards.   I can tell lately that my energy levels are lower and I don't feel fantastic most of the time.   I do think it's my diet lately and the amount of pop I've been drinking.   
  • I had a fun experience in the last week with a recent graduate of our department.   He was asked to come down to Texas to interview and show a sample lesson plan to a school district.   He visited with me and asked me for a lot of advice.   Yes it took a lot of time but it was nice to be appreciated and viewed as an expert. 
  • We received notice last week that the City of Ankeny is redoing the sewer system on our street.   We don't have an exact start date but our street will be unusable for a big chunk of the summer.  We'll have to park 1-2 blocks away (not fun with three vehicles) and during part of the process we'll be able to park at the city park across the street.   (This may cause the planned garage sale to be early in June!!)
  • I'm very excited for next weekend.   I love attending the VEISHEA parade.   It sounds like we may go to Taki Japanese Steakhouse too.   I hope the weather is decent.   It will be a nice break from the monotony of grading.  I'll have quite a pile for ISU and DMACC.   I say this every semester, but I'm really going to try and stay ahead of it...we'll see if that happens.   The unit plan projects are so easy to pile up and ignore but I hate grading so many at once in the last week or so.  
I guess that's it for now.   I thought I had more profound things to say but nope!!

1 comment:

LeAnn said...

I'm not a huge fan of the weather either. I don't think too many people are. I think your saving water idea should work smoothly. Don't worry, the gnomes require no watering.

While I have forced myself to do fit in at least two, if not three, work-outs a week, my eating has been horrible. I just eat until I feel full or past full. It sucks. I'm sure I'd see results if I got my eating under control. Shame on me.

I hope next weekend turns out well. I could DEFINITELY use a fun weekend. I have never been to VEISHA, so that could fun. I guess I have to get through the week first.

I have similar feelings when students ask me to proof their paper or something English related. I try not to get a big head.

The road construction stuff sounds like a major pain in the butt. We'll have to talk about the garage sale when Alissa and I are there.

Laundry time. Ttyl.